Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Spam...Out of the Box!

For whatever reason, I decided to check my spam box on my email account.  I rarely do this, but I'm so glad I did.  Low and behold, there was a message from a woman who had attended one of my cooking classes.  She was requesting the recipe for a soup that I had served as a starter and it was dated several weeks back!  Ugh.....I felt so bad for not getting right back to her, since she really enjoyed the soup and I hadn't provided the class with the recipe. (I usually throw in a starter in my classes...a little "amuse bouche" to sample while we discuss the evening's menu). That particular evening was chilly, so I prepared this soup incorporating the red peppers that were exploding from the crates at my local farm market! Plus, it was an opportunity to use the last can of San Marzano tomatoes that I had in my cupboard. Summer soups prepared with fresh  flavorful garden tomatoes are fantastic, but when the season ends, we are left with anemic, flavorless tomatoes on the shelves.  Since I'm yet to begin my canning career, I turn to the luscious, Italian San Marzano. This particular tomato is harvested in the San Marzano area of Italy and  reaps the benefits of the rich, volcanic soil of Mt. Vesuvius.  Plump, blood-red and almost seedless, these tomatoes are readily available at most major grocery stores and Italian markets.  Look for the D.O.P seal-Cento is a great brand.  Enjoy this soup tonight.....and it's even better the next day!

Roasted Pepper Tomato Soup
Serves 8-10 generously

3 red peppers
1 can (28 ounces) San Marzano tomatoes, including juice
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
3 cups rich chicken stock
pinch of red pepper flakes
kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
Day-old crusty Italian bread (I used about 3-4 chunks of a ciabatta loaf)
Handful of fresh basil leaves, reserving a few leaves for garnish

Prepare the peppers: Over a direct stovetop flame or under a broiler, roast the peppers until blackened on all sides.  Immediately place the peppers in a paper bag, seal and allow to rest for 15 minutes.  Remove the peppers and remove the blackened skins, which will slip off easily while still a bit warm.  Chop the peppers and set aside.

In a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil and add the garlic, sauteing for a few minutes-do not allow the garlic to brown.  Add the undrained tomatoes, roasted peppers and stock and simmer for 3-4 minutes.  Add the pepper flakes and a bit of salt and pepper, to taste.  Transfer the soup to the bowl of a food processor or blender and pulse until blended (this can be done in several batches).  Add the chunks of bread, one at a time, just to thicken the soup.  Add the basil and pulse just until combined.

Transfer the soup back to the saucepan and simmer over low-medium heat to incorporate flavors.  Adjust seasonings to taste.  Ladle into warmed bowls and garnish with the reserved basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment